Be Adventurous!

Follow our family on our daily adventure on this thing called "life" as we try to be God's hands and feet to the world around us. Matthew 28:19-20







Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sorry I've been MIA

I apologize for not blogging more, but things around here have been a little crazy. We have had some big changes around our house and the next two weeks are just as busy.

Our biggest thing right now is getting ready for the Festival of Hope. It is an outdoor festival for our local rescue mission. They have all sorts of booths, food, dance groups, worship bands and games. I am in charge of one of the booths - paper bag hats - which was a huge hit last year. They are so easy to make, just time consuming when you are making so many.

Last year I made 150 hats and we ran out of hats and supplies with an hour left to go in the festival. Luckily I had a few paper bags so I could just make some hats for people to have. This year my goal is 300 or more. Right now we have about 125 made...I am not a math wizard but that means I have a lot more to go. I have a great church - we might be small but we are mighty when it comes to pitching in and getting things done.

The only thing that keeps me going is this little girl from last year. She was one of the first ones through the booth and she didn't smile or talk much. She kept pointing out what she wanted to decorate her hat with. When I put on the hat, her face just lit up! Luckily one of my friends was standing behind me and took a picture! I can still remember that smile like it happened yesterday...it is branded in my memory forever! I remember stepping back and crying - thanking God that He could use paper bags, paint and stickers to make a child's smile happen. I thanked Him for using me to do it!


This is the reason I do this! This is the reason my hands and wrists will hurt for the next week. This is the reason I breathe spray paint fumes. This is the reason I love doing the hats! If I can show one child God's love or make them happy with paper bag, paint and craft supplies, then I will continue to do it.

It is like our heavenly father...He loves us so much that He died for us. As He was nailed to the cross He had me on His mind and said she is the reason! As He was bruised and beaten, He knew we were the reason! God loved (and still loves) us so much that He sent His son to be beaten, broken and die for us. We were His reason!

No comments: