Be Adventurous!

Follow our family on our daily adventure on this thing called "life" as we try to be God's hands and feet to the world around us. Matthew 28:19-20







Thursday, November 20, 2008

Really!...It's only November

I love Christmas! I love the holidays period - Thanksgiving through New Year's is my favorite time of the year! But this holiday season is starting to get out of control.

People have been saying it for years that the Christmas holiday is starting earlier and earlier each year. I have personally been seeing Christmas decorations since the beginning of October, just after the Halloween decorations came out.

Two weekends ago we drove by the mall and they already had the reindeer decorations out on the lawns. As I drove down the street, there are banners hanging from the light posts. The tree lighting for the city is this weekend! The weekend before Thanksgiving we are lighting the city's Christmas tree.

The straw that broke the camel's back was tonight as I was driving home I was bouncing around on radio stations trying to get traffic information. I turned to one station and they had Christmas music playing. Apparently this station has been doing it for a couple of weeks as my kids and I heard the music as we drove home from the a friends house. We thought it was a fluke thing but apparently every night from 5 - midnight they are playing Christmas music.

Really...it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

Can we just get through Thanksgiving before we go into an all out assault on Christmas?

No, I am not a scrouge! No ba hum bugs here!

On December 1st, feel free to go as nuts as you would like - crazy sweaters, homes decorated with enough lights to be a secondary air landing strip, eat until enough candy until your sick and sing Christmas carols until you have no voice. But until then can we stop and enjoy the day where we give thanks for what we have been given. In this crazy economy and things totally topsy turvy, to stop and devote one day to give thanks is the least we can do. We really do have so much to be thankful for.

No comments: