Be Adventurous!

Follow our family on our daily adventure on this thing called "life" as we try to be God's hands and feet to the world around us. Matthew 28:19-20







Friday, September 12, 2008

Hillsongs "Healer" controversy

Imagine my surprise when I went to look for a You Tube video for Saturday's Then Sings My Soul and found this video:



I blogged about this song a couple of weeks ago after hearing it at church. This song is so powerful and it kills me that it is getting such bad press due to the author's con. Please understand me as I say this: I am not agreeing with what this man did by any means. This man obiviously is in a lot of pain and has some serious issues both known and unknown that he needs to get help with.

However, the song "Healer" is an amazing song. This song states some awesome promises and truths about God. Unfortunately, people are not going to hear that anymore due to the crazy fraud this man has conducted for the last 2 years.

Things such as:
"Nothing is impossible."
"You hold the world in your hand"
"You are all I need"
"You're my healer"

These truths are still the same as they were before this controversy. There is nothing that is impossible for our God. God holds the world in His hand. We have nothing to fear - He is in control. God is all I need - even if I lost everything, HE is all I need. God is my healer. I have proof all around me. I have seen miracle after miracle. God heals (period, end of story!)

What do I really think? I think this is a huge attack from the enemy. What was meant for worship and praise has been turned into trash. I think people will take this huge mistake - again, I am in no way condoning what this man did by any means - and stop singing the song due to the controversey.

My thought is to continue to sing the song despite the controversy. Sing the song to "Author and Creator of the world and us" not to the author of the song. We need to forgive Mike, but let's not forget the song.

4 comments:

jez said...

I feel really gutted to be honest, this song has such a powerful anointing, I have been brought to a new place in my walk with christ latly and This is our God and especiay healer, has played a big part in that, I don't know what was in his heart when he wrote it, but I do know what it has ment for me. I think it is so easy to let the enemy rob us, people love to get all emotive and give power to things with out cheking all the facts. My pastor has said we will not be using this song any more. The youth group were in the process of learning it.

Greg said...

We continue to worship with this song at our church. Here's why; and I'm not trying to persuade you or anyone.
Though this song was written in the time of outward deceit, I don't doubt that this was every bit the same of Mike's plea for healing in another part of his life; mentally, spiritually, and perhaps physically as well. And when David royally messed up with Bathsheeba, was he no longer a man after God's own heart in the big picture? Was he no longer a leader? Were all his songs inspired by God that are compiled in Psalms void and not worthy to be sung/read in honor of Him?
The reality and anointing of the song doesn't change. God's power isn't stumped by human error, I guess, is the summary of what I believe about it.

keri said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

I do agree that the controversy hinders God to work through teh song. We are all from a dark past, and yet God uses us and is even using our dark past to lead others to light. When God declared Himself as Jehovah Rapha - Healer - He was not only referring to our physical healing - He is saying He can turn whatever bitterness to sweetness and use it for His glory... and so with this song