Be Adventurous!

Follow our family on our daily adventure on this thing called "life" as we try to be God's hands and feet to the world around us. Matthew 28:19-20







Friday, October 15, 2010

A leader remembered


I found out yesterday via Facebook that the leader from my first missions trip had passed away. Todd MacDonell and his wife Linda had been the leaders of the yellow team with Royal Servants for many years. The year I went, Linda was pregnant with their oldest daughter, Kelsie (the brunette in the picture). Time has flown by as I found out Kelsie was married recently. I can't believe it has been that long because at times it really doesn't feel like it.

Todd had been recently diagnosed with CJD (Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease). This disease has to do with a mutation in protein, and is a rare, progressively degenerative, brain disorder. Unfortunately, CJD is not treatable or curable. Todd had been given weeks to live.

While we hadn't talked in years the fact of the matter is he had a part in my life. He and Linda mentored a 14 year old girl who had never been away from home longer than a week, who was now thousands of miles away from home in numerous foreign countries for a whole summer. I will forever be grateful for the time, wisdom, leadership he gave me that summer. The summer I experienced has stayed with me my whole life. It has made me who I am today.

I find it ironic that I had looked at those photos of that trip with my daughter recently. She is decorating her room with pictures from all over the world. We enlarged some of them for her walls. The pictures brought back such vivid memories. Ky is actually considering a missions trip this summer. She has wanted to go on one for a long time but I have been a little leary. She is ready. If she had leaders like Todd and Linda, I just think it would be the best experience for her.

Thank you Todd for your example. You will be missed!

No comments: