Be Adventurous!

Follow our family on our daily adventure on this thing called "life" as we try to be God's hands and feet to the world around us. Matthew 28:19-20







Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thankful for family



Today I am thankful for my family.

Not that I haven't been thankful for them before now, but things in the past few weeks have really made me stop and made me think about my family - both immediate and extended. Between the Chapman family losing their 5 year old daughter to a tragic accident to my aunt's death two days ago, it has really made me stop and remember that we are not promised tomorrow.

I am thankful for:

The times my husband, daughters and I begin laughing and we don't know why. We can go until we are all crying and gasping for breath looking at each other trying to figure out what was so funny in the first place.

The times my girls lay their head down on my lap and I play with their hair while we watch TV. I know there will be a time...it happens but not all the time yet...that it will stop.

The singing in the car at the top of our lungs. Also, each summer we have a song that becomes our anthem for that summer. We play it with the windows rolled down on a warm summer evening as the sun is setting with the song on repeat until it drives one of us crazy and we change the song. We still haven't chosen one for this summer yet...but our family's all time summer anthem is "Gone" by Switchfoot.

That my girls still want to come and talk to me about their problems. I may not be the best listener, but I am trying.

I am thankful for them period!

They are mine...fighting, yelling, crying, get out of my face at times, you need to walk away right now, leave your sister alone, can I make it through this day...kids!

They are mine...laughing, crazy, loving, best friends, caring, compassionate, goof balls, wanting to change the world, passionate...kids!

I am truly reminded this week that life is too short to worry about the small stuff. Yes, I want to raise great disciplined kids, but I also want my kids to experience life. I want them to have fun and be kids while they can.

I am thankful that God gave them to me. He trusted them to me and I need to live up to that which He trusted me with. I am not worthy sometimes to be called their mom! I have made some mistakes...some big ones at times. I am thankful that these girls still love me despite not being the best mom they need at times.

I am thankful for my family!

8 comments:

Denise said...

I am sorry for the loss of your dear aunt. I really love this thankful post, it touched my heart. Praying for many blessings upon your family.

Tracy said...

So sorry to hear about your Aunt. I loved reading about your precious family...truly a blessing! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thank you for sharing about your family.

janet said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful post about your family. I can so identify with some of the up and down moments with your kids that you described. How very true...we need to be thankful for it all. You're right...life is just too short to sweat the small stuff.

Sorry for your recent loss. Thanks also for your mention of the Chapman family. My heart goes out to them as well.

Blessings to you and yours.
In Christ,
Janet

Anonymous said...

What an awesome reminder of thanks!

Unknown said...

Your post touched my heart. God bless. You have my sympathies on the passing of your aunt.

Sharon said...

Sorry about the loss of your aunt. You have a truly amazing family! God bless you.

sharon,
http://thereservoir.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey tricia... I'm kicking off summer break with a fabulous giveaway :o) I'm POSITIVE you will enjoy it and our party honoree is a common friend :o)