Be Adventurous!

Follow our family on our daily adventure on this thing called "life" as we try to be God's hands and feet to the world around us. Matthew 28:19-20







Sunday, May 18, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Happy Birthday to my Dad!

I hope that you enjoyed your shirts. I loved talking to you this morning. Sorry we had to go but we wanted to make sure that you at least talked to us at some point on your birthday.

I am so thankful for my dad! He is the greatest guy! I was really lucky growing up...my parents hung out with the youth group as parent volunteers. While at times it was annoying having them there, everyone one thought my parents were great.

My dad has great spiritual wisdom. I know he doesn't feel like he does, but he is really great about giving advice and knowing what the Bible says regarding the subject. He is also a great story teller. If any of you have had the pleasure of meeting my dad, then you know. He can't just give a one liner...there is always a story with it. I also loved watching my dad tell Bible stories in Sunday School. He is so animated and takes a little liberties with the story to make it interesting. Not enough to make the story incorrect, but enough to keep little kids attention.

The best time I ever saw was when we were at a church family camp out and they asked my dad to tell a Bible story for the kids. He chose the story of Shadrack, Meshack and Abednigo and the firey furnace. As he was telling the story he kept getting closer to the fire pit that still had coals that were hot from the night before and a little earlier that morning. As he began talking about them dancing around in the fire, he tripped and started to fall towards the fire pit himself. Luckily he caught himself on the edge of the fire pit and was able to sit down. I don't think the parents have ever laughed so hard and the kids so attentive. That's my dad...he puts everything he has into the story!

Another thing about my dad is he also doesn't know a stranger. My dad has lived in the same town all his life and seems to know everone. Now why this town is not a small town (San Diego is not small) but you would think it was by how many people he knows. Everywhere we go my dad knows at least one person and if he doesn't, he will make a friend. My sister and I are always amazed when we go out with him about how he gets into conversations with folks. We are usually waiting for him at the car or at the exit because he is in a conversation with someone.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining at all! This is who he is and I wouldn't change a thing about him. I love my dad - just as he is!

Happy Birthday Dad! We love you so much!

No comments: