Be Adventurous!

Follow our family on our daily adventure on this thing called "life" as we try to be God's hands and feet to the world around us. Matthew 28:19-20







Saturday, July 19, 2008

Summer's half way over and I haven't started having fun yet!

It is the middle of July which mean summer is half way over. Where has the time gone? What's worse is I haven't done anything fun yet for summer! When you think of summer you think of a few things: BBQ's, beaches, fireworks, family vacations. We haven't done one of those things or anything that resembles summer besides swimming at our community pool.

This summer has been a bit unusual as the month of June/first part of July was dealing with my health/gall bladder issue. I was watching what I was eating so no BBQ's. The 4th of July I had just been discharged from the hospital and was on major pain medication so even if my family had shown me fireworks, I don't think I would have remembered it.

The beach thing is difficult because the beach is a minimum of 2 hours away. With gas prices, it just doesn't make sense to go for the day. Besides growing up in CA I have spent my fare share of summers at the beach. Last year we went down for the day on Father's Day with some friends which was a lot of fun, but it seemed like a huge production just for a few hours. I know the girls would love to go again as would I, but if I am going to go to all the trouble of packing all the stuff and driving down, I want to be there all weekend not just a few hours.

Family vacation - what's that?! The last family vacation we had was last Spring Break when we went to Walt Disney World. That was a lot of fun, but we just don't have the money or time to do something that big right now. Besides, AJ started back to school yesterday, I don't have anymore vacation time, and Mr. A's job really doesn't allow for much vacation time. We have talked about doing some kind of small weekend trip somewhere but when and where we have no idea.

I know I am complaining when I should be finding a way to make summer last. It just seems like the days are flying by and I haven't been able to enjoy any of them. I miss the lazy days of summer where you can just sit back, relax and not worry about what is happening next.

OK... I vow to not let the rest of this summer pass by me. I will figure out a way to BBQ, have some friends over, and enjoy those long summer nights. This is something I am just going to have to plan to make sure that it happens.

No comments: