Be Adventurous!

Follow our family on our daily adventure on this thing called "life" as we try to be God's hands and feet to the world around us. Matthew 28:19-20







Friday, August 8, 2008

Olympics



"I am feeling very Olympic today" - Sanka Coffee, Cooling Runnings

That kind of sums up my feelings today!

I love the Olympics and always have. I can remember watching them as a kid with popcorn and coke on the living room floor at my parents house. I never played organized sports and am by no means a sport nut. I do love football in the fall - always have and always will. I love to watch beach volleyball - I guess from growing up on the beach in So. Cal. I also love going to a baseball game at least once in the summer. But there is just something about the Olympics that make me watch things such as fencing, weight lifting and other sports that make absolutely no sense to me for 16 days every 4 years.

I love the opening ceremonies and all the glamour, pagentry and culture the host country tries to convey to the world. I love learning about the history of the host country and its people. To see the hidden things the cities and people have to offer is just facinating to me. I guess that is the missionary in me trying to get out!

I love the underdog. Those stories of people who come to the Olympics with a dream to do whatever sport for the glory and pride of their country. They may have no chance in ever winning a medal or even qualifying to go further, but they came and had the opportunity to try. That is enough for them.

I love the stories of the overcomer. You know the ones who had something happen to them as a child that changed their lives forever because they were introduced to the sport to help them through those challenge. Or the ones where they were supppose to be the next big thing but tragedy struck and now they are just lucky to be here to compete. The love of a family member who sacrificed everything to help them acheive their dream of being an Olympian.

The Olympics bring out the best in people. Yes I know there are problems - performance enhancing drugs, politics, economic strife, the list can go on and one - but for 16 days we hear about the people who are brought together because of the love of a sport, the chance of a lifetime and the pride of a country.

I am thankful that my children and husband love the Olympics too! Well maybe the word isn't love but they sit and watch with me and that's love at least for me!

Bring it on Olympics! This lady is ready for every tear, laughter, smile, heart break and national anthem you have to offer.

Let the games begin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love watching the winners stand while the national anthem is played... I cry almost every time!