Be Adventurous!

Follow our family on our daily adventure on this thing called "life" as we try to be God's hands and feet to the world around us. Matthew 28:19-20







Saturday, August 7, 2010

Love of musicals

Ok...one of the blogs I follow is a friend of mine, Nancy Ray Photography. Recently she posted that she is in love with the classics. I couldn't agree with that more. She was absolutely made for another time where women wore tailored suits, white gloves and beautiful hats. She has a sophistocated grace about her. Classic, elegant and beautiful. I love that woman!

She got me thinking. I love, love, love the fashion of the 1940's. There is something so beautiful to me about that decade. I know we had a war going on and things were bad but there was something so beautiful how people came together to help each other. People became creative, inventative and resourceful with what they had. Maybe I have watched too many hours of old war movies.
I too love another era - the era where musicals reigned supreme. I could watch some of these musicals over and over. I absolutely love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I also love Showboat, Kiss Me Kate, State Fair, Oklahoma and so many others. Every Christmas season we have White Christmas playing while we put up our Christmas tree. There is something about a classic musical - the outfits are to die for, the men are handsome, the women are beautiful and built like "normal" women of all shapes and sizes and the added bonus the songs are songs that you will find your self humming days after you have watched.
The best part is my girls now have a love for musicals. They love these classics as I do but have started expanding into modern day versions of musicals. Their new love - Bollywood musicals.
As cheesy as they can be, we find ourselves trying to sing along. The best thing about most Bollywood movies is they are extremely clean by today's standards. There is not a lot of language or sex. For the most part it reminds me of some of the classic musicals from yesterday. I love that this is something we can all share together. I love that the girls can watch something and for the most part not have to worry about the content.

If you haven't watched any musicals or any Bollywood musicals, give them a try.

No comments: