Be Adventurous!

Follow our family on our daily adventure on this thing called "life" as we try to be God's hands and feet to the world around us. Matthew 28:19-20







Monday, August 2, 2010

More milestones - Drivers Ed



To even think that I have a child who is old enough to get her drivers permit is scary! But the truth is smacking me in the face today as my oldest, Ky, is heading to her first day of driver's ed. Luckily for her the classroom portion will be over by the end of the week. Then comes the best part for her and the true test of patience on our end - behind the wheel training.

I let her try and move my car once from one side of an empty parking lot to the other side with me in the car. I thought "how bad can this really be?!" Good gravy, she freaked me out! I told her to slowly put her foot on the gas. I don't know what she heard but it was like Dale Earnhart took over her body. She floored it and took off. All I could see was a telephone pole heading closer to my side of the vehicle. I screamed, "Take your foot off the gas!" After that she was only allowed to steer the vehicle from place to place. Yes, it may have taken us 5 minutes to get from one side of the parking lot to the other but at least I wasn't worried about my life.

Luckily for us, the school will give her behind the wheel training at some point in the next few months. Unfortunately her drivers ed teacher is also the HS football coach. With football season just around the corner, his time is extremely limited to do behind the wheel training. It could be November before she actually has time in the car with the instructor. I guess that means at some point we will take her out and let her get more familiar with everything. There is no reason to have her freaked out with an instructor yelling at her. At least she is used to us yelling!

No comments: